Monday, April 11, 2005

Meme 451

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sadie's "stuck" me with this meme and I must admit I half-expected this one. Or half-wished, whichever sounds frank-ier. So, here it goes.

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Never managed to memorize anything in my life, not verbatim anyway. This incompetence of mine is actually responsible for my not becoming a great actor, like I should have. Not all directors would want my version of the scenario. But if I absolutely, positively had to be a book, I'd choose one where my interpretation would do as little harm as possible: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Indeed I had. Only, nobody knows about it. Or knew, rather, until this moment. I am sorry most nobody will know about his heroine, it was a rather nice novella by a little-known Greek writer named Antonis Vousvounis and I was only 13 at the time. Or perhaps 14. (I'd told ya it's all about sex - I was learning.)

The last book you bought:
The two faces of January, by Patricia Highsmith. Didn't know it was of "greek interest" when I went for it. It now patiently awaits for it's turn, sometime around Orthodox Easter break (which occurs on May 1st this year).

The last book you read:
Il ladro di merendine, by Andrea Camilleri. It's an Inspector Montalbano Mystery, published in English as The Snack Thief.

What are you currently reading?
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, by Umberto Eco [I've got to thank Rakasha for pointing me to this exquisite book!]
Cien Botellas En Una Pared, by Ena Lucia Portela.
The Seeds of Time, by John Wyndham.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
This one is a tough question. But I am a tough reader. Here are my all-time favourites, and then some.
The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov
Zazie in the Metro, by Raymond Queneau
The Aleph and Other Stories, by Jorge Luis Borges
The Glass Bead Game, by Hermann Hesse (I'll manage to finish this one in a deserted island, won't I?)
The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas (where this bookmania of mine originally comes from)

Who are you going to pass this to (3 persons)? And Why?
I'd love to see Jinx and Karina and Grace answer this. I really like their very individual blogging styles and think they're all very bright etc -- this would give me some additional insight. So, do it girls and I'll surely link to your replies!

Come to think of it, I am sure all my blog partners would die to answer this kind of meme. I invite them to do so too (them being partners, these three passes don't really count, right?). Anybody else is most welcome to comment. Oh, for you greek-reading ones out there, don't forget I'm giving away books for Easter!

6 Comments:

Blogger Done Badly said...

Oh, I'll take you up on this. Thanks for the invitation :) I'm already in pain trying to decide which five books to take to a deserted island... It's evil if you're a bookmaniac like me. Even 25 is torture.

12:38 am EEST  
Blogger null said...

Okay, I HAVE to read that Umberto Eco book, since you say it's so fabulous. I've only read two of his books thus far, so I certainly wouldn't mind doing so when my exams are over in a few weeks.

Oh yes, it was difficult to come up with so few titles to pack on an island trip, but I decided to merely name the first five that came to mind. Otherwise, it would have taken far too long to answer that question!

11:45 am EEST  
Blogger Dimitra said...

Well, I’m at work, on a very quiet day, hence it’s no wonder temptation has struck! So…

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
I think I’ll take Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, you decide amongst yourselves which character I should be…

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Absolutely! Mind you, I was maybe about 8.
It was that rascal Tom Sawyer…
I guess I’ve gone off American men since then, although I must confess my taste has not necessarily improved.

The last book you bought:
I am actually too ashamed to admit it and not pretentious enough to make something up and lie. So, wouldn’t you like to know?

[Hint: it’s long and by an Australian writer and it was made into, like, the most popular tv series in the 80s! Think priests and passions.]

The last book you read:
Small infamies by Panos Karnezis, written in English. At first I thought it was quite good, then I changed my mind. This often happens to me.

What are you currently reading?
The last book I bought which I am too ashamed to name.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
Toughy this one, mostly because it all depends on what kind of mood you’re in and I have no idea what my ‘deserted island’ mood would be like.
But if I absolutely had to choose…
1. Milan Kundera’s Immortality
2. Vikram Seth’s A Suitable Boy
3. Kazantakis’s Askitiki, but there are no words to describe it or why.
4. A brilliant volume of collected poems called ‘Poem for the Day’: poetry was and probably is my first big love.
5. Sionoaidh Douglas Scott’s Constitutional law of the European Union - lame, I know, but some habits and passions die hard!

2:54 pm EEST  
Blogger soap said...

Well, I wasn’t going to answer this, but now I've decided that I will, in part -- for the sake of blog unity (hi Dee) and because I’m glad to see that half-wishes can come true. Maybe whole-hearted ones can, too.

I’ve had many crushes on fictional characters –- I’ve met as many on the internet as I have in books. The formative ones from my youth (no big surprise) were Holden and Meursault. The last book I read, and one of the better books I’ve ever read, was The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. Now I’m reading The Poet and the Murderer; it’s about a fake Mormon who forged, among other things, an Emily Dickinson poem that nearly brought down Sotheby’s. Non-fiction.

As for the deserted (sic) island, one of my choices would definitely be Paradise Lost. I’ve had the first 50 lines more or less memorized for several years now (I practice them regularly while waiting for the bus) but I’ve never had the time or inspiration to take it any further. The desert isle could be a great opportunity, either to memorize an epic or write one of my own.

Dave of 42 (yeah, you), the baton is yours.

9:44 am EEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your stuck inside fahrenheit 451 which book would you be?
I do not actually know what fahrenheit 451 is or was (teenage ignorance)but judging on others comments i think i may want to be the Bible...i don't know who officially wrote it or the old testament but at least if i ever got out of this fabled fahrenheit 451 i would have a complete, perfect understanding of marks gospel and would not have to waste time revising when it comes to Catholic Exam Time.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
No never. But that may have been because i am/was perpetually confused.

What was the last book you bought?
What about me? A coming of age diary of a mother and a daughter simultaneously. Can't remember who wrote it but it was very good and i had tears in my eyes whilst reading much of it.

The last book you read?
Lucas-Kevin Brookes. It was a bit crap, written in female first person by a man...really did not work. Brookes could not identify with the female protagonist.

What book are you currently reading?
When Kabia Elaine Flew In From Neptune-Lori Aureli Williams.

Five books you would take on a deserted island.
I never really understood these questions. If you were on a deserted island then you would not be able to get off so...you would never be able to use the knowledge that you unlocked through the books. In Effect. What would be the point if all you would do is read with no one to tell. Like writing with no one to read.
I will pander to the madness...
Deli Smiths How To Cook-what would would i do for food?
The biggest book on philosophy i could find so i may finally be able quell my God induced confusion.
A note book and pen-I need to write. (yes i did just contradict myself)
You Don't Know Me-David Klass.
no ,ore time to think lesson nearly over...Jinx

2:10 pm EEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm over a month late... But here it is: Karina's Totally Irrelevant Meme 451

3:09 pm EEST  

Post a Comment

<< Home