Sunday, March 13, 2005

Palpable delights

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
MATISSE, Henri, Odalisque with Red Culottes (1921), Oil on canvas - Musee National d'Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris
[image taken from http://artchive.com/]

Dystropopygus, wearing his freudian hat no wonder, often reminds us that – really – it’s all about sex in the end.
I think I may have to agree with him on that one.
In a society that feels the need to flash breasts in order to advertise anything from yoghurt to cars and fakes orgasm to promote herbal shampoos, well, yes, everything revolves around sex.
(And, by the way, that’s irrespectively of how much any of us is actually having)

I urge all hedonists amongst you to visit the Matisse exhibition in London’s Royal Academy of Arts as soon as you can. For reasons probably best left classified, I haven’t made it there yet, but I have full trust in the master: Matisse does sex but, even more so, he does sensuality probably better than anyone else in my opinion. His paintings, his women, his fabrics – dare I say even his pigeons - simply and effortlessly ooze sexuality. Just like dream lovers (should) do…

Alternatively, for those less carnally driven, there is also the Madjeski Fine Rooms exhibition on. Very fine, I am sure, although choosing wall panels over Henri is certainly a ‘deal-breaker’ in my book.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

..but, look what great art is inspired from that which we must all crave, yes?! It would be quite interesting also, to compare the work of Picasso with that of Matisse. The former, expressed his sexual appetites with unsettling experimentations; quite literally superimposing male and female genitalia in all the wrong places of his female subjects. The latter with an ever flowing simplicity utilized more subtle hints such as the crude creases of these Red Culottes; look how effectively these project and reinforce the tactile sexuality of the female subject, in contrast one may add, to the more realistic depiction of the exposed breasts. If I could recommend one book it would be, Matisse and Picasso: The Story of their Rivalry and Friendship by Jack Flam, something tells me you, (perhaps even, the trio) would enjoy it tremendously.. ;-)

3:28 am EET  
Blogger soap said...

I've thought about what the boys said, but what sticks with me is sth De(e) said in the original post: whether it's all about sex or not, sensuality is far sexier than sexuality. Desire is at its fiercest before it is fulfilled.

Niko, book recs always welcome (and beautifully written comments).
Mezizany, I think they made that house thing a little too easy for you. Indulge in a little foreplay before you sign next time. (I'll find you in the desert, though. Eventually.)

7:40 am EET  

Post a Comment

<< Home